Are you SCARED of your monthly energy bills? You shouldn’t have to be. Big changes, like investing in high-efficiency heating and air conditioning equipment, will obviously have the largest impact on your monthly statements. But smaller, mindful changes around your home can really add up!
Check out these tips for lessening your energy demands:
1. Turn off the lights when you aren’t in a room or use a timer.
2. Switch to high-efficiency light bulbs.
3. Lower or raise the temperature your thermostat is set at (depending on the season).
4. Wear layers instead of cranking up the thermostat during the winter.
5. Set your thermostat to “AUTO” instead of “ON.”
6. Keep all your vents and registers open.
7. Keep the windows and doors of your home closed and seal them properly.
8. Change your furnace filter.
9. Sign up for budget billing if your utility company offers it.
10. Avoid using space heaters and other supplementary heating methods.
11. Operate your ceiling fans correctly for the best air distribution—clockwise during the winter and counter-clockwise during the summer.
12. Wash your clothes in cold water.
13. Take shorter and cooler showers.
14. Open or close curtains depending on the season.
15. Unplug items like televisions and kitchen appliances when they aren’t in use.